What we do
We serve through experiences, outreach, and education.
We serve through our three pillars: education, community outreach programs and performance underwriting. Each of these pillars is an important part of the Sandler Center Foundation’s mission; to educate, inspire, enrich and build our community, strengthen local arts organizations, and instill an appreciation of the arts in future generations through the underwriting of world-class performances at the Sandler Center.
These pillars could not be achieved without the help of our volunteers, members, donors and partners. The Sandler Center Foundation works to provide funding or grants for each of our pillars. To learn more about our programs, click on their pillar.
Educate | Inspire | Enrich
- The Foundation’s Education Program serves approximately 16,000 students annually, 80% of whom receive attendance funding. The Education Program’s matinée performances provide many students with their first experience in a world-class performing arts venue. This year we received 6,000 reservations in the first 24 hours of opening registration.
- Our Local Heroes Program serves the military, Virginia Beach teachers, first responders and their families by hosting them for a free Sandler Center resident company performance. Since its inception, over 600 Local Heroes and their families have participated.
- Our Armed Services Arts Partnership (ASAP) Program serves nearly 200+ veterans, service members and military families. This program seeks to help these individuals to reintegrate and connect with their communities through the healing arts.
- The Foundation partners with Virginia Arts Festival to underwrite world-class performances such as Itzhak Perlman, Bernstein on Broadway, and soon to include Renee Fleming.
- The Foundation works to provide grants to our resident companies and other arts organizations through our giving circle. The giving circle members give time throughout the year in order to create a larger impact on award recipients.
- Sandler Center Members gain access to special benefits by enrolling at various gift/giving levels. All members are appreciated and especially important to our fundraising efforts.
- Over 200 individuals volunteer nearly 22,000 hours annually for the Sandler provided by the Sandler Center Foundation.