This excerpt is from Coastal Virginia Magazine’s Article, 2021 Giving Back Awards: Helping from the Heart
November 10, 2021 | Read Full Article
“The Sandler Center Foundation did not wait, nor shut down its services during the lockdown. They carried out their mission without losing a beat. In fact, it added new program elements to keep the community engaged and provide access to arts entertainment.”
At the heart of the Sandler Center Foundation stand three pillars – education, community outreach programs and performance underwriting. All pillars work in tandem to strengthen the local arts community and instill appreciation of the arts for generations to come. The Sandler Center Foundation educates through student matinees and digital performances, all of which are aligned with Virginia’s standards of learning. Among the community programs include the Armed Services Arts Partnership and Local Heroes Program, both of which strengthen the bond between the foundation and the community’s military ties. Lastly, the foundation partners with the Virginia Arts Festival to underwrite high-caliber performances to be enjoyed by local audiences.
How They are Making a Difference
- The Sandler Center presents sensory-friendly performances for audience members with sensory-input disorders, autism, and other disabilities.
- The Foundation utilizes a Giving Circle to reward grants to resident companies that call the Sandler Center their performing arts home.
- They kept the passion for arts alive during COVID through digital initiatives like #MusicMondays, #FamilyFridays and Virtual Stage Coastal Virginia.
- Serving over 20,000 local students, the Sandler presents matinee performances during the school year.
- The Center offer free admission to Sandler’s resident company performances to participants of the Local Heroes Program.
What You Can Do to Help
Support the Sandler mission by joining the Giving Circle, making an independent contribution, buying a paver or seat, or simply volunteering.